An investigation is under way after authorities determined that an endangered Sumatran tiger and two African lions found dead at an Indonesia zoo died from poison.
Officials said on Wednesday the big cats ate meat tained with poison used to put down rabid dogs. It’s not available on the open market.
Peter, an eight-year-old male tiger, died in its cage on August 17, a week after it was found paralyzed at Taman Rimbo Zoo in Jambi Province on Sumatra island, according to conservation officials. The lions, Gebo and Sonia, both around three, were also found dead on the same day. A two-year-old female tiger ate the meat but survived.