By Wang Xiang | 2010-7-8 | NEWSPAPER EDITION
ELEVEN people have been detained over the amusement park ride accident that killed six people and injured 10 in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, local authorities said yesterday.
The 11 workers were operators and electricians of the space shuttle simulator named Space Journey, Guangzhou Daily reported yesterday.
The Ecoventure Valley theme park in the Overseas Chinese Town East tourist resort, was still closed while all its rides are being inspected. The report said it had no plan to reopen until the investigation concluded.
An earlier investigation ruled out the possibility that someone deliberately sabotaged the ride. Investigators said it was caused by a mechanical malfunction.
This was the deadliest amusement ride accident in the park's history, Southern Metropolis Daily reported. Five of the 10 injured riders were still not out of danger.
The indoor ride Space Journey was one of the most popular rides at the park. Its riders can experience 2G gravity in cabins that spin at high speed.
Survivors of the accident said they heard a loud explosion and smelt something burning when the accident happened.
Some of the riders were ejected from their cabins when the machine suddenly stopped while other cabins crashed into each other.
Zeng Hui, the boss of the company that owns the theme park, apologized for the accident last Friday. But the company has not offered compensation plans to the victims so far. It said it was still negotiating the compensation.