ONE man was injured in an explosion at a home in Yangpu District last night, believed to have been caused by a gas leak, district government officials said.
The explosion happened about 8:50pm at 398 Kongjiang Road and destroyed the balconies of two apartments on the second and third floors.
A male resident was seen stuck under debris in the second floor. He was later pulled out and sent to hospital. Doctors said the injury was not life-threatening.
The explosion prompted the evacuation of the building. Nearby residents were moved to local hotels as the investigation goes on.
The blast affected a neighboring building too. At least five apartments lost power. Qiu Rongzhen, 57, who lives in the second floor, said windows in his balcony were destroyed and the ceiling cracked.