Source: XINHUA | 2012-5-26 | ONLINE EDITION
DAKAR, May 26 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations (UN) has already mobilized 7 million U.S. dollars to support the response plan of the Senegalese government in its fight against food shortage, a UN official said on Friday.
"The UN has already mobilized 7 million dollars which will be distributed to different UN agencies operating in Dakar to support the response plan of the Senegalese government which is faced with food insecurity," said Valerie Amos, the UN's deputy secretary general in charge of humanitarian affairs.
Madam Amos was speaking after a meeting in Dakar with the Senegalese Prime Minister Abdoul Mbaye. She had earlier visited the localities of Diourbel region in central Senegal to assess the progress of the humanitarian programs.
On Thursday, Amos who is also the UN's head of emergency rescue programs met with the Senegalese President Macky Sall to discuss the ongoing response to the current food security and nutritional situation in the country.
She said that the "Senegalese authorities had already taken initiatives to tackle the problem linked to malnutrition, access to health care and support to livestock keepers as well as to farmers."
"The UN system has come to evaluate the government's plan with a view of offering any necessary support," she said.