Source: XINHUA | 2013-1-7 | ONLINE EDITION
ANKARA, Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- The death toll of the methane gas leakage in northern Turkey on Monday rose to eight, local newspaper Today's Zaman reported on its website.
The miners were overcome by the large amount of methane gas after they opened a coal deposit in the Kozlu town of Zonguldak province, the report said.
Burhan Inan, director general of the Turkish Coal Mining Agency, said the methane gas leaked during the digging of a tunnel.
Inan said earlier that search and rescue teams are trying to retrieve the bodies of the miners, as well as rescuing another three miners still trapped in the tunnel. Later, the three miners were also confirmed dead.